Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

Tenant new agreement after ten years, i moved in to the flat

tenant new agreement after ten years
JA: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: i moved in to the flat 10 yrss ago have not had copy of the old agreement at request of old land lord who died last year the son has no handed over to a agentsy who have now issued a agreement with a lot of rules and regulation is this leagal
JA: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question.

Do you mean that you originally had an assured shorthold tenancy agreement which expired a long time ago and was not renewed and now you have been sent a new tenancy agreement to execute?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no on going as have been here 10 years
i have parkinsons have trouble typing can we talk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

I cannot have a telephone conversation because I cannot give specific advice, only general questions/answers.

Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

If your most recent assured shorthold tenancy agreement has expired (whether it was ten years ago or just one year ago) then the agent has not done anything illegal by requiring you to execute a new tenancy agreement.

It’s standard practice.

If your previous tenancy agreement has expired then in order to evict you the landlord would have to serve a section 21 notice on you requiring possession and giving you 2 months notice, with such notice to expire at the end of a rent period.

Similarly, as your previous agreement has expired you would only have to give one months notice with such notice to expire at the end of a rent period in order to leave the property. This is most likely why they have sent the new tenancy to you to execute, it’s because they want to be assured they will receive rent for the next year.

If you do not execute the tenancy agreement then there is a risk that the agent will serve the s21 notice to evict you.

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you i will contact if need be
Maurice
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Please remember to leave positive feedback..

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

You can leave positive feedback by using the stars at the top of the page..