Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

If it's a shared boundary fence do I need my neighbours

If it's a shared boundary fence do I need my neighbours permission to alter the fence ,I will be paying for the work to be done ?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, if it is a shared boundary fence, you should get the consent of your neighbour before you alter it. This is because you are both jointly liable for maintaining it. As you intend paying, I would certainly hope that your neighbour does not object. If you do proceed without his consent, he could, in theory, take civil action against you- but would involve him taking Court action which is probably highly unlikely bearing in mind the potential legal costs it would cost him! I hope this helps and if so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind Regards Al