Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
31090051

Scottish property law,owned land,north east Scotland, my

Customer Question

Scottish property law,owned land,north east Scotland, my neighbours hedge overhangs our joint boundary on my side by 1metre to 2m over a distance of 40m, I intend carrying out work on my land and wish to remove the overhanging and dated 'privit hedge' , 2.5m high, do I have the right to remove the overhanging hedge back to the fence post boundary, who is responsible in 'Scottish Law' for removal of debris and cuttings of said hedge, estimated contractors quotation is £800 to cut down and remove, it is a fair job to remove as the land is on a steep incline, contractor has stated this,i completely understand, I am a 75 year old pensioner and cannot carry out the job myself, the remaining hedge will be unsightly and possibly be non existant in places due to overhang.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

As a matter of law you are allowed to cut back the hedge to the boundary so that it doesn't overhang your land. You are responsible for the clear up but you should offer the cuttings back to your neighbour. If he doesn't want them it is for you to remove them. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.