Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

I have signed a false tenancy agreement due to pressure from

I have signed a false tenancy agreement due to pressure from my husband. I do not actually live in the address. How do I find out who the landlord is? My husband has all the papers. I do not know the landlord and I do not know any of the terms on the agrrement. I need to figure ouut the terms of the tenancy agreement to terminate the contract.
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

Do you know the property address?

Kind fregards

Tom

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do! Shall I tell it to you? I found out the owner on land register but not the landlord
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

MicrosoftInternetExplorer402DocumentNotSpecified7.8Normal0

Thanks for your patience.

The registered proprietor of the property on the land registry title is ultimately who the landlord of the tenancy is.

They may have appointed an agent to act on their behalf in order to grant the tenancy, so that the “landlord” that you actually deal with during most of the tenancy is someone else. However, there is no central registry of tenancies so you are not likely to be able to find out.

So, I would write to the landlord/registered proprietor at the address for service noted on the land registry title and refer them to you problem. Ask for them to provide you with details of the agent (if any) appointed for the purpose of the tenancy agreement and take it from there.

The only other possibility might be to search on of the three deposit protection schemes to see if the deposit given for the tenancy is lodged with them. They may be able to confirm the agent for the landlord. The schemes are the three links first bullet pointed on the following page:

https://www.gov.uk/deposit-protection-schemes-and-landlords/overview

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. If you are satisfied then please leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On the land register it doesnt have an address it says "incorporated in british islands"Also I never signed to pay any rent. I never paid a deposit. I just stated that I live at the property. Could they claim for rent even though I didnt agree to pay rent? Could they claim for damages etc even though I never lived at the property?
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

Well, that sounds like it's company, in which case you will have to do a company search and then write to them at the registered company address.

If you signed simply as an "occupier" and not as tenant then you would probably not be sued for rent. However, if you signed as "tenant" then you could be sued.

Please remember to leave feedback

Tom

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what should i write to them? that i request details of the landlord and my tenancy agreement? Do i have any law within which i can request the details? Could they sue me for some extortianete amoutn jsut for the sake of it? saying i have caused 5 million pounds worth of damage for example? is that possible, or would they have to prove it somehow?
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

Yes, you would have to write to them to request a copy of the tenancy agreement to check your break/termination rights.

If there was damage caused to the property as result of the tenancy then they would be able to sue you for breach of contract. They can't just pluck figures out of the air though; they must show actualy financial loss with evidence in order to claim a sum of money.

Please leave feedback

Tom

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If they dont answer me what can I do? I read somewhere I have right to know the landlords details within 21 days
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

They have to answer you. They must provide you with information within 21 days, otherwise they could be fined.

Tom

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if they sued me it wouldnt actually matter that I dont and didn't live there? I was forced to sign the agreement by my violent husband (and I have proof of the violence)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

It most likely would not matter that you did not live there. You signed the tenancy agreement and it is therefore legally binding.

It's awful that your husband put pressure on you, but it does not affect the landlord's rights in these circumstances because they did not pressure you or put you under duress

Please remember to leave feedback

Tom

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

You have not leave feedback. Please do so using the stars at the top of the page..

Tom

Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.