Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I moved into a rental house on 13 May. It needed some

Customer Question

I moved into a rental house on 13 May. It needed some repairs and redecorating and I was told that this would be done soon after I moved in. I accepted as we had to move in at short notice as our house sale went through very quickly. After one month nothing had been done and I had spent money on some repairs myself. On 13 June I informed the letting agents that I wished to give 2 months notice as the work hadn't been done and the house wasn't all habitable. The landlord lives abroad but her son lives locally and he came around with a contractor a week later. A roof tile was replaced and some other minor repair work carried out to the roof 2 weeks later. That is all that has been done. I wish to vacate the property by 12 August. I have found a new tenant who can move in early in September, giving time for the decorating and repairs to be done. However, the landlord is insisting that she doesn't want a void. This would mean that we would have to have contractors in the house while we still live in it and pay rent. What are my rights in this situation?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Was it discussed what works would go on and when?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not need to take a subscription as I will be moving abroad soon.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes I understand. We can speak online or on the phone, which may be quicker, for an additional small sum

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What will the sum be?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

The offer is just post there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I need to gather some more information and discuss this with my husband.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok