propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

Is a tenant leagally responsible accidental fire starting if

Is a tenant leagally responsible for an accidental fire starting if there is found to be no working smoke detector in the property and I'd a deed of surrender is signed by the landlord stating that "The landlord hereby agrees to release the tenant from all liability costs claims and demands arising in respect of non observance or non performance as the case may be of the tenant covenants and the conditions contained or referred to in the lease."
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Is this residential or commercial?

Are you the tenant or the landlord?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son was a tenant in November 2014 and has yesterday received a Letter from a company called BLM. Threatening legal action
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my son fell asleep with two tea lights on which started a fire he was told that if he signed a deed of surrender and gave up his deposit there would be no further action provided he also agreed to take no part in any leagal action against the landlord at any point in the future

Prior to Oct 2015 there was no law on smoke detectors in single let dwellings but there was in lettings of multiple occupation.

Was is a hmo?

Has your Don made a claim against the landlord or demand for return of the deposit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This property was not classed as an HMO my son signed a deed of surrender and paid the landlord 525 pounds as the deed of surrender states that the landlord hereby releases the torment from all liability costs claims and demands whatsoever arising out of or in respect of non observance or non performance can the landlord sue my son

Without seeing the document I can only go by what you have commented previously. If it says the tenant is released from all liability, costs, claims, expenses, obligations whatsoever in relation to the incident and the tenancy agreement then the landlord should not be able to sue your son.

I hope this helps. Do let me know if you have any questions or queries. Please can I ask you to accept / rate my reply, many thanks.