F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have given a guarantee against any failure of my grand

Customer Question

I have given a guarantee against any failure of my grand daughter to pay her rent. Can I remove that guarantee at any time?.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

It depends the terms of the guarantee. Usually, you can only get out of it if your granddaughter vacates the property.

Sometimes, they are specified to just be for the initial tenancy but that would be unusual. There is no incentive for the landlord having the benefit of a guarantor, to release that guarantor.

It is worth mildly mentioning that if you did not get a copy of the tenancy agreement at the same time as the guarantee, then the guarantee is not enforceable anyway.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.

Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Indeed. You have done all that any citizen would be required to do. Best wishes.

Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to call. Can I have your contact details please?