75100385

I signed a guarantor agreement son's girlfriend in 2011. She

I signed a guarantor agreement for my son's girlfriend in 2011. She has housing benefit and uses that to pay the rent. Recently DWP stopped paying her housing benefit and she is meeting them to get it out back on. The landlord's agent is asking me for the money. The landlord put the rent up in February which I thought nullified the agreement as they didn't ask me if I was happy to still be guarantor. The landlord's agent is now trying to enforce it, where do I stand please.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What type of agreement do they have please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a tenancy agreement that I am guarantor of. Is that what you mean?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes but what type of tenancy, is it an assured shorthold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's assured short hold.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks. Its bad news I am afraid - unless you are released as being guarantor then you are liable for the rent.

Just because the Landlord increased the rent does not void or release you. As guarantor sadly you are liable until either the tenant moves out or the Landlord releases you.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Good luck. Alex