F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have a leasehold on a flat but cannot find my leasehold

Customer Question

I have a leasehold on a flat but cannot find my leasehold deeds is there anybody else who would have them the solicitor or building society
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

If the property is registered at the Land Registry, I wouldn’t worry about this. It is the central register which is relevant, not a bundle of preregistration title deeds. You can get up-to-date deeds from the land registry.

If they are the original deeds in the property is not registered, it becomes more problematical because you are going to have to apply for first registration with no deeds and that’s certainly not a job for the fainthearted.

They could well be with the solicitor or the building society but the majority of lenders have now dematerialised preregistration deeds and don’t want them.

Many preregistration deeds were destroyed once the property was registered.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It does not cost you anything but helps us greatly.

Best wishes.

FES