Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

We moved into our property 4 months ago (April 2016) We have

Customer Question

We moved into our property 4 months ago (April 2016) We have erected a fence at the end of our garden. The neighbor was advised prior to commencement of work and gave us permission to do some of the work from her garden. The total length of this boundary is 12 feet and previously there was a hedge there which was planted in our garden. We have removed all the hedging and installed two 5 foot panels with 12 inch trellis on top. The original concrete post are still in place and we have all of the fence erected on our side of the boundary line (inside the posts from our side)) except the center post. I could not place the post wholly inside the boundary line as a concrete path and its foundations are in the way. The post is 1.25 inches over the center of the boundary line. So if you drew a line along the exact center between our gardens, on 4 inch post is 1.25 inches over that center.
My question is this.
Is there distance each side of the boundary line for fence construction which is reasonable Ie 3-4 inches each side for construction? Or can she insist that i move the post as she is currently
Paul Hayers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on 4 inch post is 1.25 inches over that center.
Should read
our 4 inch post is 1.25 inches over that center.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Just to be clear the new works, are they any side of the neighbours boundary please?