Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

Can I buy a c1 usage guesthouse without change of use but

Can I buy a c1 usage guesthouse without change of use but not operate. It would be a freehold property
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean that you intend to buy the guest house as a simply property purchase (ie. not the purchase of the property and the business run from it) and then simply hold it unoccupied as a investment?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To live there as a residential home
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

If the property is a guesthouse at the moment the you are correct in that it is use class C1.

Unfortunately there is no permitted change to another uses class (including residential use) without a planning permission being obtained from the local planning office.

This means that until such time as a planning permission is granted by the local authority authorising a change of use to another use then the property may only be used as a guest house.

In theory, there would probably be nothing stopping you from buying it and simply holding it unoccupied but this would not change the use of the property. There is no length of time that you could hold it unoccupied for which would then allow you to use it for residential purposes.

Therefore, if you propose to live in the property then you would have to make a planning application for change of use to residential. It would therefore not be prudent to buy the property without knowing whether this is likely and for this purpose it would be sensible to consult fully with a reputable local planning consultant before you buy it.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I cannot have a telephone call I'm afraid..