propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I am looking to buy a plot of land (1acre of agricultural

I am looking to buy a plot of land (1acre of agricultural field) at the rear of my property and the agent is asking me to pay the vendors legal and agent fees, is he entitled to ask me for this?
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your question.

It is all down to negotiation. There is no set in stone rule. It is generally the case that each party pays it's own fees. However, it is generally the case that a developer will pay a landowner's fees in respect of an option agreement.

Sometimes a seller can get away with asking the buyer to pay if the buyer is keen or there is a lot of interest. Sometimes a buyer will offer to pay fees as an added incentive.

It all depends on circumstances.

Do you have any questions or queries in respect of my answer. I am happy to assist further if I can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your prompt response, would it be a viable approach to refuse to pay these fees, citing the savings the vendor would be making through this sale of the avoidance of a larger capital gains tax payment?

You can make whatever suggestions you wish.

You are not obliged to agree to pay the fees.

Have you been told how much the fees are? If they insist you could offer to pay a proportion.

Please can I kindly request that you accept /positive rate my reply otherwise the website will not pay me for assisting you today. Many thanks.