Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I rent my flat out to tenants. I was told by the concierge

I rent my flat out to tenants. I was told by the concierge that the bailiffs came round today to break into the flat to collect a debt they owe to British gas. The tenants are currently away. I rent the flat out as fully furnished so am concerned that the bailffs will break my locks and take some of my furniture rather than the tenants property. Can I do anything?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 7 months ago.

Do you have a forwarding address?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do you mean?

Do you know the tenants are still there ? Just away at the moment?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They just away on holiday. The managing agents Savilles know that they are away on holiday. Back beginning of September.

Is your furniture worth a large amount?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can the bailiffs break in? Set the alarms off and take stuff out of the apartment when no one is there? British gas debt?

They can do that in the long run but they need warrants and it isn't usually something they do lightly.

Also, generally speaking a bailiff isn't interested in furniture. They want high value items like vehicles.

they don't usually break in because they are liable for any damage caused.

You could always contact the bailiffs and make clear that you own the furniture.

They hight well ignore that but it is a safety measure to put you in a position where you can recover if they do misbehave.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I contact the bailiffs though without waiting outside the flat I case they come back? And they can break in?? The tenants have only been there for less than a year so I can't see how they owe British gas so much money.

They should have left contact details?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Noting.unless they posted through the door but of course I can't get in as tenants away.

No, and you couldn't interrupt their post even if you could get in.

That probably closes down that option. The only other alternative is to put a notice on teh door for the bailiffs. You could laminate it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can they break in?

It is very unlikely that they would. At this stage they won't have authority.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They say they have a court order apparently. Oh we'll. think I will leave a letter with the concierge addressed to them with my numbers on so that they can call me. Depending on the debt I could ask Savilles to pay it and deduct from their deposit. Thank you for your help with this. Bye

Oh yes, they will have a court order but there are stages to the actions they can take.

They can get entry though any open door or windows but they cant just kick down the door without further order.

Remus2004, Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Great. Thank you. They apparently had a lock smith with them checking the type of locks but maybe that was a scare tactic. They definitely scared me and I wasn't there and it isn't my debt!!! Thank you for your help. Will try and get some sleep now. Night.