75100385

I work in property management,one of our tenants owes us

Customer Question

I work in property management,one of our tenants owes us £803 in rental arrears, however the rent period that this relates to she was not the named tenant but the permitted occupier she became the named tenant two years later.
Will she still be liable for this on the basis that we did not do a check-out for the previous named tenant and because when she took over she agreed (not explicitly) to take over the responsibilities of the named tenant at the time?
Please help
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, someone else was named as tenant during that period?

Was there ever an assignment from the old tenant to this new tenant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aline Pereira was The named tenant from 2012-2014, she left the country and Avanti Patel which was the permitted occupier became the tenant from 2014-2016. The rental arrears relates to 2012-2013, however we did not do a check out we only changed the tenancy agreement to Avanti's name. Now she is disputing that she will not pay this rental arrears and we chased several times during her tenancy in the hope she would pay, now we want to deduct from the deposit the landlord is happy to deduct only half. Is she liable for this legally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone number is *****
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.