75100385

I am a secure housing tenant of Bristol City Council. I have

I am a secure housing tenant of Bristol City Council. I have been a tenant for 50 years and in my current property for 45 years. The property was originally allocated as part of my job on a large Council owned public open space but I do have a full secure tenancy.
My rent was always low to reflect the responsibilities of my job. I am now retired from my post.
I have recently received a letter from the City's Housing Department informing me that to bring my property into line with similar three bed roomed properties my rent is to increase fourfold.
This seems to me unreasonable and I would like to know if the Council are within their rights to do this?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If there in no further additional cost then I am happy for you to continue
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. There is no additional charge.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Robert
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Hello Robert my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Does the tenancy say you will get a reduced rent, or they will increase it once you stop work?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Ash,
Re my tenancy, there is no mention written or verbal that I would get or was entitled to a a reduced rent or that when I
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
retired my rent would increase. I can to an extent accept an increase to bring my rent into line with similar properties, my concern is that it has quadrupled overnight.
Robert Westlake
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Are the similar properties charges a similar sum?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In a letter from a service director for Bristol City Council I was informed that the council are 'reviewing rent levels for all properties within Parks and Estates. [These are properties outside of the normal social housing stock] and that my rent needs to be brought in line with Bristol City Council rent levels for social housing.
The letter goes on, '£101.49 is the current BCC rent for a 3 bed roomed house in your ward area'
The letter concludes, 'I understand that you have enjoyed a much lower rent for several years but this does now need to be addressed to ensure that all tenants are paying rent at a consistent and fair level' ' The new rent level will take effect from 1st October 2016'
Robert Westlake
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

This is what you need to do - complain to the Chief Officer of the Council. They will investigate your complaint and get back to you.

If that office does not uphold your complaint then you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service and can investigate your complaint at: www.lgo.org.uk

Finally you can consider a Judicial Review, this is where a High Court examines the decision to see whether it is legal and reasonable.

A Court can either agree with the decision or send it back to the Council to consider again.

For more information on that process can be found at:

https://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/courts/administrative-court/applying-for-judicial-review.pdf

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Ash, I will follow your advice
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

All the best and good luck.