Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

What are my rights regarding land adjoining my property?

What are my rights regarding land adjoining my property? Specifically the lady who owns the land adjoining our detached property has decided to sell it, the land is part farmer's field, part orchard and includes two derelict barns. She gave us first refusal on the land but is asking way too much. The Council planning office have told us that it is very unlikely that anyone will get planning permission on this land but of course we are still a little nervous. If as the only neighbours to this land (one of the reasons we bought the house was because it stood by itself) we were to object to any proposed development would this have any effect?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi thanks for your enquiry. I am afraid that it would not be a valid objection for you just to say you don't want a neighbour. First of all, the Planning department will look at their Council's Local Plan to see if the proposals were breaching this (for example, it may not provide for building in green belt land if any part of the development is in the green belt) and whether or not the proposals would be in keeping with the area in which it is situated/ there are no objections from the Highways as regards ***** ***** and from the development. If you were determined to oppose any such development, you would be wise to instruct a local Planning consultant to advise you fully what grounds, if any, you would have to objecting to the proposals on valid grounds. I am sorry this is not the answer you may have been looking for, but it sets out the legal position. If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind Regards Al