Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I need to take my partners name off the lease /deeds off the

Customer Question

I need to take my partners name off the lease /deeds off the property which was in joint names , not sure how to go about it
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, does your partner agree to this? Is there a Mortgage over the property? Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I previously had a mortgage with my ex partner which was paid off , in the meantime and while we were still together we took on another mortgage , both were in joint names, during this time, we split up and I ended up living in and paying the other mortgage which is now paid off . In the meantime she has been in touch with a solicitor and has been told it will cost 500 £ to take my name off the one property (her property)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has now told me I need to get a solicitor to basically do the same thing, because i have paid it off !

Thanks for your reply.

Well, if you do instruct a Solicitor to deal with the Transfer of the one property into your name, you will be looking at around £350 plus VAT plus a Land Registry fee which will be between £40-£95 depending on the value of the property. I must say that unless you are familiar with Land Registry Forms and procedure, it is going to save you a lot of hassle.

If you do it yourself, you will need to print off a Land Registry Transfer document called a TR1, complete it and then both of you will need to sign it and have your signatures witnessed. You will then need to send the TR1 to the Land Registry with an application Form called an AP1. To combat fraud, any party who does not instruct a Solicitor also has to submit an ID1 Form, which is confirmation that your identity has been verified by a local Solicitor, who will need to sign the back of a recent passport photo of yourself and complete the ID1.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

If I have helped, please don't forget to rate my answer.

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had no contact with her for a few years so when she told me she had been in touch with a solicitor about taking my name off it I told her I had paid the mortgage off , this is why she is saying it has to be done separately

It is correct that, unless you both are prepared and able to deal with the paperwork personally, that you both instruct independent Solicitors. As you have separated, the same Solicitor won't be prepared to act for both of you.

Kind Regards

Al

Hi, can I assist you any further? If not, please don't forget to rate my answer, so I may get credited for my time. Kind Regards Al