Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have a small piece of land adjacent to my property, most

I have a small piece of land adjacent to my property, most of which I have been maintaining since I moved into the property 23 years ago. The land is currently owned by two separate land developers. How do I go about having the title to this land incorporated into my property?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Could you please let me know if the land in question has been fenced in by you/forms an integral part of your property?

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there are hedges and a rockery to the front and side, put in by the developers, which I have maintained since buying the property. There are bushes further back, running adjacent to my existing fence, also put in by the developer. All of the land mentioned above is outside of my land title boundary, does not form an integral part of the property, but I have to maintain the bulk of it to stop it from overgrowing and looking very unsightly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish to bring it into my title so that I am maintaining my own land and can then incorporate it into my garden.

Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay.

The reason I was asking if you had incorporated this land into your property, is that in order to be successful in claiming possessory title, you must show that you have possessed and maintained the land to the exclusion of others. As the land is on the other side of your boundary fence, I can't guarantee that you would be successful in your application, but if you wish to apply, you will need to instruct a local Conveyancing Solicitor, who can take you through the necessary Land Registry application Form and procedure (basically, you need to show that you have possessed the land for over 10 years (if the land is registered) or 12 years (if the land is unregistered), and set out the facts of your possession/maintenance. Once your application has been received, the Land Registry's Surveyor will then come out and inspect the land.

Your Solicitor is likely to charge you £600-£750 plus VAT for this work and the Land Registry fee will be £80.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That's sufficient for now.