propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I granted a commercial lease to my existing tenant on 1st

I granted a commercial lease to my existing tenant on 1st May 2015, but the term was stated to commence on 1st August 2015 as that was when their existing lease would come to an end.
A dispute has arisen with regard to repairs and the queston is which lease applied to the period 1st May to 1st August 2015, as the two leases have slightly different wording.
The tenants are particularly concerned about some additional works which were only discovered in mid May 2015, when the scaffording went up. Are these covered by the 1st or 2nd lease please ?
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 10 months ago.

The first lease covers until its expiry date, I assume 31 July 2015. Regardless of when you completed the second lease it will be 'valid' from the stated commencement date, 1 Aug 2015.

Therefore, it is the first lease that is applicable.

I hope this helps.

Do you have any queries or questions in respect of my answer? I am happy to assist further.

Please can I kindly request that you accept /positive rate my reply otherwise the website will not pay me for assisting you. Many thanks.