Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Are there any regulations on what an agent can charge when

Customer Question

Are there any regulations on what an agent can charge when renting a property on behalf of the owner?
As the tenant I have been charged £120 for an agreement extension which I didn't ask for and on which I was not consulted but needed to accept to retain the property. Now, we are moving out and the new agency are charging £50 each for a credit check and referencing, while my old agent requires an additional £30 for a written reference. On top of a £250 charge to 'draw up' a standard assured shorthold tenancy, which is in addition to the 'admin fees', which are to cover an expense I can't identify.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Further to this, if a contract is extended [see attached files] surely the break clause in the first is valid in the second?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Supplimental Agreement was missed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Update: - Leaders have confirmed clause 4.2 is explicit and we can use it rather than surrender the contract. Begging the question why were we advised we couldn't do this in the first instance and suggesting they had their own commercial reasons. A learning experience.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 11 months ago.

Hi Gareth

I will take a look at the documents and respond.

As to fees, there are no regulations. Sadly, costs are passed on to tenants as they have no choice but to pay if they want the property. It is what happens in a landlord's market, too few properties and lots of prospective tenants.