How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 285
Experience:  Property solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

Can a landlord accept a person as a tenent and let them

Customer Question

Can a landlord accept a person as a tenent and let them start decorating the house before they move in then half way through the work install someone else in the property?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Have you signed a tenancy agreement?

Please explain in more detail, are you still in the property, has the other person moved in, what type of tenancy agreement did you sign?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is on behalf of m grandson the landlord shook hands and agreed for him to do the work in liEU of rent he has a partner and a 1yr baby they had been looking for rental for 1yr they had not signed anything just shook hands on agreement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

The problem your grandson has is the agreement is verbal. His word against the landlord's. Without a written agreement there is very little that you grandson can do, sadly.

propertylawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are things belonging to me and my grandson in the house plus he spent money on carpet and decorating what should we do
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

You are entitled to you belongings back. It would become a question of potential theft if the landlord refused.

Recovering any costs for the carpet and decorating will be difficult as you have no written agreement. Difficult to prove the terms.