propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

Can a landlord accept a person as a tenent and let them

Customer Question

Can a landlord accept a person as a tenent and let them start decorating the house before they move in then half way through the work install someone else in the property?
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 10 months ago.

Have you signed a tenancy agreement?

Please explain in more detail, are you still in the property, has the other person moved in, what type of tenancy agreement did you sign?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is on behalf of m grandson the landlord shook hands and agreed for him to do the work in liEU of rent he has a partner and a 1yr baby they had been looking for rental for 1yr they had not signed anything just shook hands on agreement
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

The problem your grandson has is the agreement is verbal. His word against the landlord's. Without a written agreement there is very little that you grandson can do, sadly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There are things belonging to me and my grandson in the house plus he spent money on carpet and decorating what should we do

You are entitled to you belongings back. It would become a question of potential theft if the landlord refused.

Recovering any costs for the carpet and decorating will be difficult as you have no written agreement. Difficult to prove the terms.