Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We live in a semi detached house and the boundary between

We live in a semi detached house and the boundary between the houses is next doors according the the deeds and to them. They had erected a 3ft fence some years ago and according to them they paid for all of it as the previous tenant couldn't afford to pay anything towards it. I am wondering if we are allowed to erect our own 6ft fence between the houses, although it would be very close to their fence it would actually be on our own land? As it's on our own land would they have any come back and would any complaint by them be upheld? Thanks
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your enquiry.

I am pleased to say that there is absolutely nothing stopping you from erecting a fence on your side of the boundary, and your neighbours are not entitled to object to this.

The only thing I would say is, that if you do this, there is a small risk of there being a dispute in the future as to where the true boundary line between the properties lies (your neighbour could, for example, remove the existing fence straddling the boundary, and try to claim the tiny strip of land between the boundary line and where your new fence lies.

I hope this answers your question and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for the prompt reply that's great.