Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

I have a shared ownership of a property with a brother and

Customer Question

I have a shared ownership of a property with a brother and my mother lives there. It now seems my brother may move in. I have no intentions of making my mother move or changing her circumstances. But I've been told when she may go if he stays there he can stop me selling the house and I've been told that's his intentions. What I would like to know is is there a way of stopping this happening or getting him to sell or if he will not move can I charge him rent for my half of the property and would this affect my ownership? Also would I be able to rent out two of the five bedrooms?
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

The fact that your brother has moved into the property will not give him any extra rights regarding it

When the time comes if he refuses to sell you can obtain an Order for Sale from the Court - and an Order that he pay the costs of your doing so

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details