Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Can an offshore trust give or sell a life tenancy in one or

Customer Question

Can an offshore trust give or sell a life tenancy in one or more of its UK residential properties to one of the UK beneficiaries(not the settlor) of the Trust ?
Alternatively can theUK beneficiary be given or purchase a 99 year lease of the residential
properties for a low sum of money.
thanks
Expert:  F E Smith replied 3 months ago.

Can you explain the situation here in detail please?

Do you want them to do this or are you trying to stop them?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We are trying to do this as a means of reducing the market value of the UK residential properties currently held by the offshore company and thereby the forthcoming IHT charges on the non dom settlor . This reduced value would also influence the ATED rate

Thank you. Unfortunately, this is outside my sphere of expertise. I will opt out for another expert. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your time
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 months ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I wish to have something in writing .
I am concerned that my debit card company has advisd me that it has already cashed my card for £38 .
My understanding is that I am on a free trial for a week and if I DO proceed after the trial then the card would be cashed for future enquiries . Please advise what is happening on the fee front on both , as your action was not part of the Agreement .Thank you
Ashley Down
I apologise for any confusion with JustAnswer's payment process. JustAnswer is a paid service, but Experts are only paid after a customer is satisfied with the answer that an Expert has given.
When asking a question on JustAnswer, a customer sets the amount that they are willing to pay for a satisfactory answer to their question. Either before the question is posted, or before the answer to a question is revealed, the customer must make a good faith deposit for the full amount that they are willing to pay for the satisfactory answer to their question. The deposit is fully refundable if the customer is not satisfied with any of the answers.
The Expert who answers a customer’s question is paid only after the customer leaves a positive rating on the question page. The Expert is paid using the customer’s good faith deposit, so an additional charge is not made to the customer unless the customer decides to leave a bonus for their Expert that exceeds the value of the credit already on the customer’s JustAnswer account.
The free trial is a free trial of our membership program.
Please let me know if you have any further questions or would prefer not to continue.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am sorry to be a bore on this but I would like to settle the fee issue before proceeding .
My debit card has been charged £38 over this trial period without an answer to my question .
If I call you does that mean I pay an additional £44 . I am at a loss as to why my £38 was taken , when no advice has been given .
look forward to hearing from you
As explained, customers pay a deposit when asking a question. If an Expert answers satisfactorily, this is then paid to the Expert. This deposit is fully refundable if you are not satisfied.
I hope that clarifies things.