Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have a i bedroom flat which I have bought however the

I have a i bedroom flat which I have bought however the Freeholder is nowhere to be found I wish to extend the lease ,how can I go about this.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry.

If, after all reasonable efforts, the landlord cannot be found, this should not prove an obstacle to apply for a lease extension-

• If the landlord just cannot be found then you can make an application to the county court for a lease extension, known as a Vesting Order. If the court is satisfied that you qualify for a Lease extension (you qualify if you have owned your Flat for 2 years or more) then it will, in effect, grant the lease to the leaseholder in the landlord’s absence. The court will usually refer the case to the Tribunal for determination of the premium. You should speak to a local Solicitor to progress matters. I hope this assists and sets out the legal position. Kind Regards Al