Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am trying to get the Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency to

Hello,I am trying to get the Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency to cover the cost of removing our cavity wall insulation. It was removed before they concluded their investigation into the dispute (which took 9 months) as it was making our clothes smell really stale and sour (I have been advised that this is a common problem with faulty CWI). The cupboards all started smelling of damp almost as soon as the CWI was installed and we had never had any problems in the 10 previous years of living in the house.The installer, Mark Group, went into administration so we have been pursuing the matter directly with CIGA who sent an employee to inspect the work. Unfortunately I didn't know that the lower half of the house was done years earlier, without causing any problems, and he only inspected downstairs so couldn't find anything wrong.As it was taking so long to get an answer from CIGA (we started the query in December last year) I got Homeworks Energy to remove the CWI in late February and write a letter stating their opinion of the installation:The original cavity wall insulation had been installed very poorly at the wrong density which had caused it to both slump in the wall and leave void areas.CIGA says they weren't given an opportunity to review the findings and won't pay. They also state that Homeworks Energy weren't told about the guarantee or they wouldn't have removed the CWI and would have referred it back to CIGA. I can't remember whether I told them or not however Homeworks maintain I said I didn't know if we had a guarantee, this is according to the letter from CIGA, which seems unlikely as I had been discussing it with CIGA since December 2015.We have been sent the forms to try and get the money back from the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution which I believe is the final step in appealing CIGA's decision.Please would you assist? Many thanks.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nicola,Not a problem, please continue looking for an appropriate person as we have a year after receiving the form from CIGA to respond.Thanks for your help,Claudia
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do you know the cost you are seeking to claim please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jamie,I'm looking to claim £924.00 for the cost of the extraction please.Many thanks,Claudia
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have written the letter and will send it recorded delivery tomorrow.Many thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor