Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

I am a landlord. My tenant who is more than 2 months in

I am a landlord. My tenant who is more than 2 months in arrears with her rent is refusing me access to inspect the property . Is it illegal for me to break in by using a locksmith.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

Yes , you need a court order to get possession of a residential property. The penalties under the Protection from Eviction Act are awesome should you choose to do anything else.

Best regards

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only want to gain entry for an energy assessor to rate the property. Without issuing her a certificate I cannot begin the process.

Do you have a set of keys?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but on both occasions I have been unable to gain entry. I do give a minimum of 3 days notice of my request.