Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
31090051

We have lived in our house 3years. Our neighbours next door

We have lived in our house 3years. Our neighbours next door moved in after us and have been horrendous, noisy, fighting, police being called on each other, cutting down part of our hedge without asking to a low height, disputing boundaries where there are old apple trees growing to prove how long the fence must have been there... and lots more. There is a fence on the front garden boundary. On our side there is a prickly hedge and intertwined is ivy. I've cut down one part of the prickly hedge, resulting in a lot of the ivy being removed. The ivy also appears to have a lot thicker roots on our side and I'm 90% certain it was planted on our side. The fence posts are on our side. The fence is old and in bad repair. The house was built in 1940 and the old lady who lived there from it being new to us buying it has died so there is no way of knowing who originally planted it. Our neighbours have been hell to live with and they are thankfully selling up. They have gone nuts at us last night, saying I've chopped down their hedge and in retaliation she has pulled lots of branches off my magnolia and thrown them on our path, far more than was overhanging their boundary. She refused to get off our property when we asked her. I've photographed the fence and hedge today for evidence. I haven't touched any plants on her side except this prickly hedge and ivy. She's threatening me that the people who are buying their house are solicitors and they will make my life hell for cutting down her/their hedge. Am I in the wrong?
Expert:  JGM replied 10 months ago.

You are entitled to prune anything on your side of the fence. It appears to me that any new purchaser has no quarrel with you and that you are lucky enough that your intimidating neighbour is leaving. You should ignore her empty threats, you have done nothing wrong, and look forward to neighbour's who are likely to be saner and more rational that her. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am creditd for my time.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have taken photos. I don't know whether to get in touch with the estate agent and just say that there have been issues over boundaries but that we will happily sort them out with the new neighbours once they are settled in. I'm not sure if I would be justified in ringing the police if she starts again. I was planning on trimming back all of the hedge but now I'm scared to touch it.
Expert:  JGM replied 10 months ago.

That would be very unwise. Do nothing. Let the neighbour move out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Why?
Expert:  JGM replied 10 months ago.

Because she is clearly the type to cause issues. Your new neighbours may not be bothered in the least bit of you start creating issues with the estate agent you might put the sale in jeopardy.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you agree that the photos show the hedge is on my side?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh right. Yes, that would be much worse!
Expert:  JGM replied 10 months ago.

It appears the hedge is on your side.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  JGM replied 10 months ago.

I suggest you do nothing. Dare I say that if your new neighbors are solicitors they will have more to think about than their garden. Personally I haven't seen mine for months!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My ex husband is a law costs draftsman and I saw all the files and how much work was in them, so I know where you are coming from.