Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I HAVE TWO EXCELLENT -TERM TENANTS IN A RENTAL PROPERTY WHO

i HAVE TWO EXCELLENT LONG-TERM TENANTS IN A RENTAL PROPERTY WHO ARE CURRENTLY ON A ROLLOVER AST. THERE IS A SPARE ROOM IN THE HOUSE AND I NOW HAVE ANOTHER PERSON WHO WANTS TO MOVE INTO THE HOUSE AND SHARE IT WITH THE TENANTS WHO ARE HAPPY FOR THIS TO HAPPEN. THIS NEW PERSON WILL PAY RENT BUT I DO NOT WANT TO PUT HER ON TO AN AST AGREEMENT.. THIS IS BECAUSE THEIR FINANCIAL STABILITY IS NOT CLEAR AND I AM UNSURE AS TO WHETHER THEY WILL ALWAYS PAY THEIR RENT ON TIME. MY QUESTION IS = CAN THEY LIVE IN THE HOUSE AS AN AUTHORIZED OCCUPANT AND NOT BE ON THE TENANCY AGREEMENT? I DO NOT LIVE IN THE HOUSE.
THANK YOU
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Are the tenants or you subletting the room?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did not want to become a member on fast track. I got confused by the website. I have used it previously and the fast option was not there. How do I escape and return to the non fast track. I agreed to pay £20 and only want a typed reply. The tenants will not be sub letting the room. As a non resident landlord I want to have their friend rent the room but without the security of an AST - in other words to be an authorised occupier with no legal rights. PLEASE HELP ME GET BACK TO THE NON FAST NON MEMBER channel ASAP. Thanks very much.

This is www.justanswer.co.uk - you have asked a question.

I can help you with that if you wish?

Just to be clear, the friend therefore is only a lodger?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The friend will be a lodger but I as the landlord will give my authority for this and sign any agreement in writing if necessary. The tenants do not want to sign anything but want her to be a lodger.

Ok - then you simply have a written lodgers licence agreement.

Its not an AST because the room is not self contained.

In short it is just a licence to stay. Thus means it can be ended at any time for whatever reason.

She does not need to sign anything but you can give a document saying its a licence.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is a very helpful comment. Thank you. Is there a form I can get off the internet or can I just make up my own and call it a licence?

Have a look online but I have just found a few:

www.wlga.gov.uk/download.php?id=5305&l=1

www.ncha.org.uk/assets/_managed/cms/files/.../lodger%20agreement.doc

Does that help?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
greatly. How do I pay you now and how do I cancel that membership that would lock me into a monthly fee.? Thank you for your help. Elaine (I do not want membership).

I cant see you are on a membership plan. I think you have paid a one off fee.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh...that was in error. How much was that for? How do I cancel that membership. Have they taken my money for it already? I found the new revamped website confusing.

Sure. I dont have access to billing so I would suggest you contact customer services for that.

But if you could rate my answer in the meantime I would be grateful.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what do I press to rate your help?

There should hopefully be 5 stars or happy faces! Thanks in advance.