Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Please could you clarify that with regards Lettings in HMO

Good Morning,
Please could you clarify that with regards ***** ***** HMO properties where 4 tenants have individual tenancies and we have a 5th spare bedroom, whether we have to give the tenants notice to enter the communal areas/ garden and spare room to hang curtains for a prospective tenant.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does the tenancy agreement with the 4 allow you to do this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Yes as they have tenancies for their room only and it is not a joint tenancy for the whole property.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

But it says you have access?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely - We can carry out necessary repairs/ upkeeping the maintenance & decor of the property as it is a HMO. Joint tenancies are agreed that we MUST give at least 24 hours notice before entering the property unless in an emergency.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok - the yes that is fine. The agreement allows for access and you just need to give notice.

Although you probably dont need to give notice as this is a lodger agreement, you should as a matter of politeness to your existing tenants.

In any event those tenants can not object because the agreement allows it

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.