Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My partner has changed the locks of a property that we

Customer Question

My partner has changed the locks of a property that we jointly own. Can I open the door using locksmith while he is out?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Are there any court orders in place excluding you from the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I am aware of. I am currently outside the property with the police and locksmith. Police tells me I have to have a court order to open and change the locks.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. If the property is in joint names and there are no exclusion orders you have a legal right to enter and occupy the property due to being a joint owner. She has no right to change the locks without a court order.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.