Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to

Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I own a flat (leaseholder) in a block of flats which is owned by Enfield council. I moved in 4 years ago. There is a major construction work in progress on the whole building. The estimated cost for my property for the work is £14,619.78. This includes repair of external brickwork and a complete replacement of the roof. A preliminary plan was to repair the roof which now obviously reflected in increase in the cost. The building is 42 years old and there was not done any major work since it was built. Is there any chance that i would get a discount (proportion of the time me living in the property) for my estimated cost?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, you need to refer to your Lease to see what your liability is towards any external works. However, all Leases will stipulate that you and the other Leaseholders will be responsible for a due proportion or percentage of these works. I'm afraid it won't allow for any discount for parties who have been living there for a shorter period of time- you all will need to pay the same amount, whether you have been there 1 year or 20 years. Sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position. Kind Regards Al