Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

How do I calculate injury to feelings? I am a leaseholder.

Customer Question

How do I calculate injury to feelings? I am a leaseholder. The managing agent's staff have come onto my property and mowed down my garden, not once but twice in one week. This is the second time this has happened to me and it i very distressing to comme home from work and find someone has decimated my garden. I am a very keen gardener and have spent a lot of time and money on my garden. i can estimate the plant costs but don't know how to make them pay for the distress they have caused me.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have you been to GP as a result of this please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I do have an employee assistance programme where i work and they offer counselling over the phone. However, I guess you are looking for some evidence of my distress?

yes. Do you have any evidence of this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well I haven't been to the doctor. I have my irate emails to the Housing Association. Nothing medical though

ok. Then at most you could claim a few hundred pounds to £500.

Unless there has been a recognised illness or injury the courts are not likely to compensate you simply for distress.

So it would be a few hundred pounds to £500 at the very most.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's great....thank you for the clarification. The last time it happened I went through the Small Claim Court and demanded £700 which did not include injury to feelings but did include the replacement for fully grown, mature plants. I finally settled for £400. I will push for something around this amount as they have really destroyed plants and cleared the ground. Do you think this is reasonable? I have to get something going soon as the weeds will take over and that will just add insult to injury!

In reality it should be a recognised condition of it goes to court. But they may settle on a commercial basis.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Many thanks.

All the best.