Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I own a house which I rent out to joint tenants, A and.

I own a house which I rent out to joint tenants, A and B. Tenant A has given notice and is set to move out in October. Tenant B is refusing to move out, saying she has nowhere to go. Can I legally evict tenant B if she refuses to vacate the property, or do I need to separately give her two months notice?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

For now please let me know whether you have served notice at all on the tenants?

I assume they are in a periodic tenancy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tenant A has given notice that coincides with the end of the six month Assures Shorthold Tenancy. I have not served notice on the tenants, as I believed - perhaps wrongly - that the fact that Tenant A had given me notice, terminated the tenancy for both tenants A and B.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if one tenant leaves then the tenancy technically comes to an end. But in order to secure your position ideally you should also have served a S.21 notice.

If the remaining tenant does not leave then you need to serve notice on your tenant B.

Tenant B is liable for 100% of the rent. So you could wait until they are behind or just serve S.21 now and if they dont leave, get a possession order.

But in figure if one tenant is going to leave you should serve notice on the second.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tell me please, what does this sentence that you have written mean: But in figure, if one tenant is going to leave you should serve notice on the second
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Thats auto correct - in "FUTURE'.

Does that help?!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your answer, that covers everything
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Great. All the very best.