Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

Can a landlord ask for an increase in rent less than 6 weeks

Can a landlord ask for an increase in rent less than 6 weeks before lease is due to be renewed?
My landlord said he wanted to raise the rent by 6% and I naturally said no way. I sited many reasons why including having a radiator that was not fit for purpose burst in my face and cause a flood. My lease is due for renewal on the 17th of September and he only yesterday said he would be happy to raise it just 3%. Is he within his rights to try to raise the rent without a great deal of notice? We do not have an agent and we only have a contract that he downloaded from the internet.
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

Is this for a residential tenancy?

Tom

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Unfortunately, if you have a residential tenancy then the landlord can offer you whatever rent level they choose for a renewal tenancy. There is nothing restricting him from increasing your rent like this.

This is because ultimately if you choose not to accept then the landlord can issue you with a s21 notice requiring possession of the property (if he has not already done so), which would give you two clear months’ notice to vacate with such notice to expire on a rent day.

There may be issues of repair with the property and you can ask for them to be repair depending on the nature of the disrepair, but it does not affect what the landlord can offer you as to rent on a new tenancy.

He may be bluffing in the hope that you simply do not wish to go through the hassle of finding a new property. This is obviously for you to assess and see if you wish to offer an ultimatum but as your tenancy is close to expiring the landlord will always have the option to serve a notice to evict you regrettably.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That pretty much answers it. Shame tenants don't have more rights. Thank you for your prompt help. Sonia
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

Dear Sonia,

Yes, I agree and you have my sympathies.

Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom