Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have a freehold property in central London which has the

Customer Question

Hi I have a freehold property in central London which has the right to use the majority of the garden area (in the deeds) from the former landlord.
I am the only person who has used and maintained the garden area for the good part of 20 years.
For many years the access from the landord's property has remained partitioned off from the garden. Very recently they sent me an e mail after they had dismantled the partitioning stating that they would like to use the garden area 'from time to time'
I am very concerned on 2 levels, security to my property which has 2 large glass doors opening onto the garden area and my privacy. I live alone with 2 dogs, am aged 64 and feel very vulnerable about this situation.
The landords are a charity and they hold events during which any person can attend, can now potentially walk into the garden area and into my house.
Living with dogs I have always felt safe in leaving doors open for them. I will not be able to comfortably live in my house without locking myself in at all times incase anyone, staff or clients, or vagrants from the landlords property happen to use the garden area. They could peer into my windows and glass doors which is unacceptable.
Also at night time it is possible to view my house with a torch right through the landlords building on the other side of the street. The security of the landords building is non existant, their sliding door to the right of use garden has no proper lock on it.
Please can you let me know of my legal rights
thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please can you keep this question private, I dont want it to be seen in the public domain on your site
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

This is a public website. What is it you want to achieve?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i want my privacy respected and dont want anyone to be able to wander around the garden area at any time. I want proper security from their side of the building, not just a sliding glass door with a catch on it and an alarm system in place which would safeguard my property. I dont want my whole conversation out there in public thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my question was clear, I want to know my legal rights. If y are unable to respond to my queries I would like my money back thank you

But just to be clear your agreement doesn't not say you have exclusive access or use of the garden?