Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

We have been through a Section 20 consultation and have now

We have been through a Section 20 consultation and have now received a notice of estimates for major works. I was prepared for a hit but the figures are astronomical and I need to get some of the costs down. We are on the consultation period now but I need a conversation about the figures, not just to send comments. Do I have a right to negotiate the costs down without professional back-up? Should I employ a quantity surveyor or other professional to substantiate my cost queries? Unsure how to proceed. And I am sure that some of the costs are too high/not competitive.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 10 months ago.

Given the figures are astronomical employing a quantity surveyor to view the property and the consider the nature and cost of the works proposed would be Worth every penny and in the end save you a fortune.

Best wishes

Mchael

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. Should I engage a QS now, independently, during the consultation period, or suggest that the freeholder engage one in my formal comments? I have the spec and the cost breakdown but would the QS need direct contact with the contractor?

It depends on how you propose to approach it.

You do not want to say something which later your expert cannot support or agree something that your expert may later say that you had no need to agree.

But you could argue in broad terms saying that is too high without being too specific and see whether they change position.

You can suggest a meeting if you feel it will cut through things but first I would get the QS comments in writing on the estimates.

Best regards

M,ichael