Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I'm on a rolling monthly contractI put in a months notice

I'm on a rolling monthly contractI put in a months notice on2/9 but landlord says it has to be the end of the month so won't accept till 30th and contract will finish 1st Nov.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.

To achieve what?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iwell can he refused the notice and carry it in till Nov as I need to vacate by the end of September due to new job miles away.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.

What is the rent date?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rent is due on first but is always paid on 25th
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.

Ok. That would mean that the notice you served on the 2/9 would not take effect until the 25/9.

However, you would only be liable for one months notice. That would mean your liability would end on the 25/10.

The landlord is also under a duty to try to find a replacement in the meantime and if he is able to do so then your liability also ends.

He is right to the extent that the notice would only take effect at the end of the month but it would only last for one month.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The notice was supposed to be dated through first but it took me a few days to locate them as had no contact details as they had separated the business and moved to new address
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.

It still wouldn't have taken effect until the 25/9

It runs from the rent date.