How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question

propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 279
Experience:  Property solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

We have been renting an industrial unit for the last 12

Customer Question

Hello, we have been renting an industrial unit for the last 12 years paying rent in the standard quarters. Unfortunately a couple of week ago (at the beginning of September) we lost our biggest client which has effectively closed our business. The business has a big overdraft and we can not afford to pay another quarters rent which would be due at the end of September. We have told the landlords agents that we cannot continue with the lease as we will have no money to pay the rent and that we would vacant at the end of September. We did not signed the renewal contract three years ago. We cannot remember how much deposit we paid 12 years ago. My questions are: can they withhold our deposit in lieu of notice even though we haven't signed a contract? They are saying they want the unit left in the same condition in which we rented it when in actual fact it was in an appalling state - so much so that the agents gave us a free month to work on it to bring in into being habitable. In such a circumstance what would be an 'acceptable condition'. Many thanks
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 9 months ago.


Thanks for your question.

As your original lease has ended and have not signed the renewal lease you can potentially serve notice. It will depend if you had a protected tenancy and have been holding over on those terms or had an unprotected tenancy but have been occupying since the end if that tenancy on periodic tenancy terms.

Without further details, sight of documents I cannot comment further on the validity of your notice.

If you have served a valid notice and pay rent up to the end if the notice then the landlord has no claim on the deposit in respect of arrears or loss of Rent.

As for dilapidations, the standard obligation is for full repair. This means that you have to put the property into repair, I.e remedy historical dilapidations unless your lease has a schedule of condition attached and specific wording that you are not required to put it into a better state of repair and condition as evidenced by the schedule. It is one of the extremely unfair terms a tenant is subject to when taking a lease.

Potentially you are liable to repair and remedy historical dilapidations.

Generally the acceptable condition required by landlords is old for new, full renovation back to new condition.

Your deposit can be taken to cover part of any dilapidations claim brought against you.

Do you have any questions or queries?

Happy to assist further.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks It's a standard Law Society lease, is that an unprotected tenancy?
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 9 months ago.

It depends. I have seen such leases being protected and excluded.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Remus2004



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Previous | Next >
  • Remus2004's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.

Related Property Law Questions