Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

We agreed to go halves with a neighbour to build a fence.

Customer Question

Hello! We agreed to go halves with a neighbour to build a fence. The fence however, has been built around 7 inches into our land and not in the middle. We contacted the owner as soon as the fence began construction to advise (he leases the house to tenants) and the owner insists the location is correct and requested the fencers proceed, despite us asking he check the deeds before building further. The fence is now fully built and the owners is not responding to emails. What do we do?!
thanks
Deb
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello Deb my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

So its not been built yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jamie! Yes, the fence is now fully constructed and according to the deeds it is completely in the wrong place. The work began on Thursday 15th Sept and we noticed immediately it was incorrect. We emailed the owner of next door (as we did agreeing to the work in the first place) and the email went ignored. The fencers came back the following day to finish, we made our opinions clear, the owner of next door and I spoke on the phone and he believed it was correct and instructed the fencers to complete the work. Now it's finished and we've written to him again and he's ignoring emails. We have withheld our half of the money and asked him to move the fence - no reply :( !!