Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was trying contact the agent to get my deposit back, now

Customer Question

Hello ;
I was trying contact the agent to get my deposit back, now it's over a two months, each time they said that they are contacting landlord and actions is been made , as we fail to contact the landlord I was going to ask what best options that can be taken to ensure that I get my right of deposit
Dispute was one of solution that I thought of , with your advice I will be so greatful
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello;
I wanted to know the supporting documents required for me and the evidence I will have to handle !!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

It's been over two months. The law says you have to get it back within two weeks.

So they are in breach of the law.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello ;
Actually I shared a house with two housemates, we each fill separate application and contract , our rent time was finishing on 3rd of July , me and other tanent had delivered the keys on 29 of June right before the contract"s end and we ensured that everything sorted and the landlord didn't say anything regarding the deposit , what latterly happened is the third tanent was trying to contact the agent and landlord and failed to do so , and hence they contact me to state that we are responsible for payment of two months rent from 1st of July to 22 of the augest stating that the third tanent has delevired the keys on the 22nd of augest , the landlord kept silent all this period , after I contacting the agent they said to me to fill( move out form) to return the deposit back , and after actually today the said that the two months payment will be deducted from deposit of (1200£) having said that we paid 900£ each month as rent , what do you think about that!?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

you still have a claim. You just show you are entitled to the deposit and is not been paid.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said that they are going to take the deposit because of that reason I was wondering how is that reasonable !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would be so greatful if you can tell me what to tell then legally following the law to their message
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You take the steps I have outlined above, sending a letter then court etc. Do you need me to repeat it?

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want just to know , is it possible for the agent to take the deposit without getting back to me !
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

No. By law they must give it back within 14 days.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks
I think I will appeal
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Have a good weekend,