Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I want to rent out a property to someone who will do

Hello I want to rent out a property to someone who will do refurbishments to the property and rent out room by room for a profit. The term agreed is 2 and a half years and me the landlord will only be responsible for the exterior repairs. It is imperative for me that the terms are AST so that I can terminate the lease by the end of the term. Is there a problem with this as the tenant is responsible for the interior? Does this convert the agreement automatically to commercial? Is there a way to do it correctly?
Thanks *****
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

In the agreement does it say this person will refurbish please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then you can rent it on an AST. But if the agreement does not state they will refurbish the property then they do not have to.

If you want them to do this, you should include it.

But an AST is fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can make a clause in the agreement to say tenant responsible for the interior including boiler and heating or electrical repairs and it will still remain AST?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Yes, because it would be a term that would be agreed.

But you need to make it obvious and draw the attention of the tenant to it.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Great! I will write to them in a letter clearly saying that despite for the tenant being responsible for the interior the basis of the agreement is an AST with a fixed period.
May I respectfully ***** ***** this advise in insured as you would expect when paying for advise.
It was a big help.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

This is a question and answer site, no professional relationship exists between you and the site, as per the terms and conditions.

If you are in any doubt you should seek independent legal advice.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!