Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My girlfriend entered into a joint tenancy agreement with a

Customer Question

My girlfriend entered into a joint tenancy agreement with a friend for 18 months, but her circumstances have changed after 5 months and we have a rented flat together. she has asked her current landlord if she can find a replacement tenant and in the meantime continue paying rent until this happens. Her friend will remain there for the duration of the agreement. The landlord is being awkward and says no, we have checked the agreement and under Consequences of early termination of the tenancy, it states,
"If the tenant vacates the property prior to the end of the term, the tenant will remain liable to pay rent until the term expires or the property is re-let whichever is earlier. Should the property be re-let during the fixed term, the tenant will also be responsible for the repayment of any pro rata commission fees that have been or will be incurred by the landlord for the unexpired portion of the tenancy.
Given that she pays 50% of the rent all she is looking at doing is finding another tenant to replace her on the agreement. Please advise if she can do this.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Is there a break clause in the contract?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.