Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My landlord has rented out a property in London which he has

My landlord has rented out a property in London which he has no planning permission for. It is essentially a bed-in-a-she'd. I don't share a kitchen, bathroom or an entrance with him. Only my letters go to his home as the shed is at the back of the property. My question is, is the contractual rent still payable by me even though he doesn't have permission to let the underlying property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How do you know they dont have or need planning permission please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back Jamie. I called the local council to ask because I wasn't sure if the plumbing met the requirements for the property to be classed as a studio. In particular, the flush runs on electricity and I don't believe it is the right installation if the toilet is the main and only one in the studio. Many thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Yes rent is still payable under the contract. If it was a case of fraud then the answer would be no.

But in this case its not fraud, the Landlord just isnt doing what they should be.
So sadly the answer is yes, rent is still payable.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.