Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am a Private Landlord who has served notice on a Tenant

I am a Private Landlord who has served notice on a Tenant who has left the property two weeks ago and returned the keys through the letterbox sometime last week. He is not responding to any phone calls (my only way of contacting him) and I have no forwarding address. He has left his furniture ( two beds and two sofas) and lots of rubbish along with opened mail showing he owes at least £1500 in council tax and other bills. Can I treat the property as abandoned?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, the tenant has left, although notice has not yet expired?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Notice has expired. He did not sign a tenancy agreement for this year last twelve month tenancy agreement expired 1st July 2016. He paid outstanding rent and I gave him one months notice in writing personally on 20th August to leave on 20th September. He left the property on or before that date but did not meet me to hand over keys and discuss the return of his deposit. He has not responded to any phone calls or texts since then. I returned to the property on Saturday 1st October and both sets of keys have been put through the letterbox and opened mail in the property includes a final bill from BT.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if the keys have been handed back then you can treat it as abandoned.

You do need to store the furniture for 30 days before you dispose of it, just in case he comes back.

But yes, you can treat it as abandoned.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I assume I can count the thirty days from his last day of tenancy?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Yes. That is correct

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Yes