Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We have been student landlords for over 30 years and now

We have been student landlords for over 30 years and now have new tenants who have not paid their rent what procedure do we need to do to collect this rent
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What type of tenancy agreement do they have please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Short hold tenancy agreement through an agent.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write to the tenant and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help today
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jamie Thank you for your help, the agent in question is sorting things out for us but you have clarified what we wanted to know.Many thanks for your help and if you can help further we will let you know.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!