Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
31090051

Looking to split a commercial warehouse/office type building

Hi, looking to split a commercial warehouse/office type building into 2 . We own freehold with no Morgage. Split will be aprox 297sq meters and 74 square meters. Have a Tennant who only uses the larger area and does not wish to pay rates on the area that they don't use. I also have a prospective Tennant whom I am prepared to offer short term licence to for tge smaller area... thank you
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What would you like to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have a freehold comercial warehouse/office building without morgage..and a Tenant who does not use the entire area..and does not wish to pay rates on the entire area..there is an obvious split in layout to leave the original tenant with 230sq meters and then a separate 73sq meter area with external access..how do I go about splitting title thank you

In terms of lease or licence?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Want to split freehold..then amend lease to original tenant and offer licence to new tenant for smaller area..would poss need to have clause of a ccess for fire escape.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Reducing area for original tenant will bring area into a lower business rateable value

Ah ok - in that case its beyond my area of expertise. I will let someone else take over.

There is no need to respond or wait here, you will be notified by email

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.

You should not have to split the title as long as you amend the lease to the existing tenant to make it clear that the tenant is only leasing the part that they need. The other proposed tenant can be given a lease of licence of the remainder. The leases/ licence would narrate by way of a plan or description that only part of the premises are leased by the relevant party. So change the leases and there should be no requirement to change the title deeds. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for that, so you are saying that if the lease or licence shows which area each party is responsible for, the council will accept this and provide 2 separate business rates account numbers and rate demands? Thank you
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.

Exactly, yes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would like to leave good review...unfortunatly button on phone app doesn't seam to work..will try website off desktop later..thank you..
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. Don't forget to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Experience: 30 years experience in property law.