Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I paid money ( £1000 ) to a builder ( unfortunately a friend

Customer Question

I paid money ( £1000 ) to a builder ( unfortunately a friend ) up front to renew my roof how can I get my money back, he refuses to return to put right his work. It is complicated, basically can I get my money back before I go into realms of paragraphs detailing events?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 months ago.

hello i can help you. what action have you taken so far?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My neighbour and I engaged my so called friend to renew our joint flat roof, he did my half first, whilst he was away on holiday the new roof leaked causing water staining damage to my ceilings, which he promised to rectify. By the way my neighbour had her own issues which I'll keep out of our conversation. Basically when he had finished the job and handed us both our invoices, a 25yr garentee, a garentee of workmanship and materials, and a copy of his certificate of competance from Cromar products who trained him. I checked the job ( both sides ) over, I was not happy with the standard of work, I did a report on my findings and pointed out what i was unhappy with and sent this to Trevor ( my neighbour concured with m report ). The time line needs further investigation if this is important, but away a few weeks past and my emails were not being answered, to be fair I was concerned that even if he did return I was not convinced that he had the skill and experience to complete the job satisfactory, so I contacted the guy at Cromar products who trained him, explaining our predicament he offered to inspect the roof and to give us a solution. By this time Trevor had contacted my neighbour, as he was supposed to be emailing me and I was not recieving his mails, and said to Amy that he could not return as his time could be more profitably spent elsewhere, leaving us in limbo. I asked the Cromar rep could he recommend a Cromar trained roofer who could finish the job and garentee the roof. Sorry jumped a place, Cromar said with the roof in its present state he would not garentee it, and if another contractor was employed they would more than likely wish to strip the roof and start again, but he offered to meet Trevor on site and discuss the remedial work required to validate the garentee in other words. Trevor ( the roofer/builder ) has not emailed me once but choosing to speak/email through my neighbour who copies me in on all correspondence. We have given him a few deadlines to contact us by to state if he is to return and rectify his work. Two months have now passed since we recieved his invoices wth no definative answer on whether he will finish the job or not, he's staying relatively silent. I get the impression he's waiting for us to say something to hang ourselves with, there is more but thats the basics. We have had other contractors to quote, one guy even sent his own report which was not encouraging as far as us being watertight was concerned. We have not told Trevor this. No other action has been taken.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Remus, Is it your intention to reply to me today?.
Kevin
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Remus,
Do you intend to answer my question fairly soon, otherwise i'll request a refund and source my answer elsewhere.
Kevin