Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

The rental agreement between me and the private landlord is

Customer Question

The rental agreement between me and the private landlord is for a fully furnished property on a Assured Tenancy
basis. It is NOT a Shorthold Tenancy.On three occasions the landlord’s agent promised in writing to contribute 50% to the cost of painting of the property internally as items of furniture, paintings and antiques (20.000+ pounds worth) were returned to the landlord on his request. The landlord acknowledged receiving the goods and confirmed sharing the cost of internal painting 50/50.A few years have passed and the work will shortly start.
Meanwhile I have sent a quotation from the decorators to the landlord.The landlord has now written to me stating that as a gesture of goodwill he will pay 25%.This obviously replaces the original 50% without stating any reasonCan the landlord be held to honour the original amount of 50%, in his own written words splitting the cost equally ?Please inform me of my actual Legal position.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want the Landlord to agree the original offer from Him for 50% of the internal painting cost - we agreed to return valuable items from the House
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Anything in writing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the house was originally FULLY Furnished - yes several letters from him and the person responsible for looking after the property
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

What is the cost of the equity loss?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
regret I do not understand the question - kindly explain
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

The reduction of 50% from 25% is a loss. What is that in monetary value?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sum of £ 1,500.00
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of that cost within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i should mention the work has not been done yet - how ill that be in view of your answer - it is to be started very shortly
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You can issue now or later if you want.