Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Can a landlord charge 15% as a management fee on utility

Customer Question

Can a landlord charge 15% as a management fee on utility bills (Gas, Electricity & Water)?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Jamie, I am a tenant living on a housing estate. which comprises 117 properties. In addition to Rent we also pay service charges for the supply of Utilities (gas, electricity & water), and this is currently: 15%. We expect to pay for Energy consumed but NOT management fees. The supply of energy is a statutory right and obligation on landlords. Please reply!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Jamie. I have asked a question, and have not received a definitive reply. You have however deducted £26 from my account - please explain!!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Jamie. I don't fully understand the process that has so far cost me £26 without receiving any answer of any kind. Please reply
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Jamie-Law, I have not received a reply to my question WHY?

Sorry for the delay, was just in Court. Does the lease/agreement allow the Landlord to levy a charge?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The lease agreement allows for the levy of a charge but doesn't specify an amount in percentage terms. We are only speaking of Utility items here against which a charge of 15% has been made. THIS SEEMS EXTORTIONATE!

The Landlord can NOT charge you this fee. The Landlord can ONLY charge you actual costs for what has been used. Nothing else.

You should write to the Landlord and say he is in breach of the law. If he does nothing then get a local Solicitor to write to set out the legal position and say you will get a Court declaration if he does not comply.

If he still does not respond you can seek a Court order saying he can not charge this.

You would need to complete form N208:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n208-eng.pdf

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have informed my landlord of your reply to my question 11 October 2016.. I have not yet received a reply from him. I am currently seeking to find a local Solicitor as you suggested. The matter is on-going! Will need to meet with my colleagues to discuss next step Thank you for your help so far. This has been invaluable! Kind Regards.

Great news